Beans spilled. Next year, I will have lived three decades of life.
As I’ll be hitting big ‘3’ soon, I can’t help but to look back at life. Time sure flies. I clearly remembered how I had longed to grow up sooner. Through many twists and turns, it made me a better person I am today. Even so, there were things I wished I could have told my younger self about.
1. Life is good. Those disheartening moments you thought it’ll be forever, it’s not. Tough times will pass and soon, you’ll realize even though you can’t control what’s happening around you, you can control what’s within you.
2. It is okay to be yourself. You don’t have to act or look as how others expect of you. Those people won’t matter and sooner, they’ll be an insignificant part of your life.
3. Learn to open up yourself to people whom you trust. There are people who truly cared.
4. Speak up and don’t be afraid to voice your opinion. Just because someone said it’s so, it doesn’t necessarily mean it is the right thing for you. Deep down inside, you know what’s best for you.
5. Your hard work in school matters but please, don’t do it just to please anyone.
6. Cultivate a habit of saving. You’ll be amazed how much it will end up being from the little you saved each day. Not to mentioned, it’s definitely a good practice to have as you grow older.
7. Don’t be with someone if you’re not prepared to commit yourself. Relationship takes effort, time and a whole load of tolerance for each other.
8. But if you do end up being with someone and realize it’s best to move on, have the courage to talk it out. It’s not fair for you and especially for the other if all you’ll do is blindly holding on.
9. Friends are important and even though throughout life, we will all move on with our own agenda, make it an effort to catch up and preserve it.
10. All achievements take time. You can’t expect anything great to happen within a night. Have patience and most importantly, be persistent in all that you do – no matter how small it is. Never ever give up.
11. No matter how much you thought your parents were a nightmare, they truly love you and only want the best for you.
12. Learn to walk away from toxic people.
Related: 5 Destructive Personalities of Toxic People You Should Avoid
13. We are all humans after all and we will make mistakes; whether intentionally or not. Learn to forgive.
14. Don’t take things personally especially if it’s something nasty about you. It says nothing about you but a lot about them. Walk away.
15. Laugh out more. Be more engaged with people around you. They’ll come to know the real person in you.
16. Sometimes, things do happen that we often can’t explain. You don’t have to dwell so much about it. Let it go. You’ll know the answer when the time is right.
17. Actions speak louder than words.
Related: 45 life lessons written by a 90 year old