Last updated: April 13, 2020.
In this post, I’ve put together a step by step tutorial on how to start your own WordPress blog with Bluehost.
Today, you are going to learn the exact ways it will take to start your very own WordPress blog with as little cost as possible.
Bluehost is one of the cheapest blog hosting provider. I personally have had great experience using them.
Click here to start your own WordPress blog with Bluehost, then follow through the tutorial below for easy instructions.
Blogging is a big thing and you can literally make money online writing on things that you love about. People from every part of the world, at different ages are creating blogs that enable them to earn a full time living with it.
Blogging on Great Big Minds has been a truly fruitful journey. One that has allowed me to literally work anywhere, all by doing something I really love.
Ever since starting Great Big Minds in the year 2017, it has been one of the most rewarding decision I’ve ever made. From another post: How To Make Money Online Blogging and Facebook Page, I shared an insight on generally how much I make money online with blogging; an average of over $10,000 – $15,000 per month.
Making an average of $10,000 – $15,000 per month is a lot of money… and it makes such a huge difference knowing that I am doing what I love and not dreadfully stuck in a 9 to 5 job.
I get to work from home, have flexible schedules which allows me to travel to places and most importantly, be able to spend more quality time closer with my loved ones.
You can start a WordPress blog and make money online blogging right now even as a beginner.
I will be laying down step by step, everything you’ll need to know about when it comes to creating a blog so you can start making money blogging today.
Disclaimer: Please note that some of the links are affiliates and will come at no extra cost for your end. However, I may earn a commission should you choose to purchase through the affiliate links provided. With these funds, it help fund this blog and every expense incurred, ensuring that I can continue to provide valuable content such as this to you free of charge. Please be assured that I only recommend products that are worthy and benefiting to you. Thank you for reading through.
👋 I suggest bookmarking this comprehensive how-to so you can come back to it whenever required.
How To Start A WordPress Blog With Bluehost Today
1. Having an idea and getting a topic
The first step is always crucial and it’s so important that your blog be focused on something specific.
The reality is, your blog doesn’t necessarily have to be the next revolutionary idea. Take for example Great Big Minds, I blog mostly about topics and ideas in the aspect of personal and professional development.
That include subjects like growth, health, fitness, money-making, leadership, spirituality, mindfulness, love & relationships and many more. My passion lies in developing, empowering and inspiring others.
If you are having difficulties when it comes to identifying your blog’s topic or rather I’ll like to call it, your blog’s niche, here are 2 key questions to ask yourself.
Will I enjoy continuously learning from this topic?
It is imperative that you love what you do and that applies even when it comes to making money online blogging.
When coming up with a blog topic, consider what is it that you enjoy. It could be a skill, an experience or an interest you love about. Whatever it is, know that it is important for you to be naturally curious about what you will blogging on.
By being naturally curious on the things you love, you’ll tend to learn continuously and that prevents you from running out of ideas and subsequently having consistent relevant topics to blog about.
What is it that you’re good with? Know of something about yourself that your friends or family are constantly complimenting you on? That could well be a blog topic you may consider looking into exploring because it makes it a whole lot easier writing on things you’re already good at.
Are there audiences who are going to be interested?
I believe in blogging and writing for an audience and most importantly, knowing that someone could benefit out from it.
Here’s how to find out.
Say you’re into making charms and you aren’t quite sure if anyone’s going to be interested.
Do a quick Google search and the result pulls a massive 301,000,000 returns.
Don’t be afraid of going specific. Take for example, coffee is a huge topic. You may want to look into blogging about Latte art instead.
If you’re uncertain, perform the simple search as illustrated above again to get an idea on the number of your intended audience.
2. Setting Up A WordPress Blog
If you’re serious about making money online and potentially making this your income generator, I’ll highly suggest you getting a paid hosting instead of a free option.
Credibility is crucial and with a paid hosting, you are deemed more as a serious blogger in the eyes of the public. Not to mentioned, with a paid hosting, you’ll get to have more options when it comes to configuring your site; like placing sponsored advertisements.
If the above sounds technical, don’t worry. I’ve got you covered below.
Naming your blog. Don’t just give any random names to it because your blog name reflects your brand. It’s how others will remember you as. If you’re not into using your own name as your blog’s, go for keywords that relatively represent what your topic is about.
Having a domain name. Your domain name is your blog’s name. For example, Great Big Minds’ domain name is greatbigminds.com.
Having a web hosting. A web hosting is generally a service that helps host your domain name and enables it to be accessed through the internet. Having a domain name and web host comes hand in hand. You’ll need each of them in order for your blog to go up live and accessible on the internet.
Bluehost has made it easy and simple for you to start and that is why I’ll highly recommend its service.
You can get your domain and web hosting through Bluehost, making the entire process a breeze even if you’re just starting out. It is so important that your blog is hosted via a reputable hosting company because web speed, customer service and technical support is crucial. You won’t want to have down-times all the time and that may happen if your blog is hosted via an anonymous service provider.
Some of the reasons I highly recommend using Bluehost:
- It’s super friendly to use. Bluehost interface is created for the use of the public, making it so easy to use even if you’ve totally no technical experience. With the following tutorial I’m going to be highlighting to you below, it’s going to be super easy for you to create your own self hosted WordPress blog.
- Bluehost web hosting offers 24/7 technical support. SUPER IMPORTANT.
- Web hosting prices generally range from $3 up to $1000/month. Bluehost has made it extremely affordable for just about anyone to own their own blog; starting at just $3.95/month.
- Remember the need of your own domain name. With Bluehost, you get a FREE domain name.
- Freebies by Bluehost doesn’t just ends here. Installing and integrating WordPress through Bluehost web hosting is FREE.
- Not that you’ll ever need it but you’ll also have a 30-day hosting money-back guarantee (terms and conditions apply) if you have tried Bluehost and decide your account does not sufficiently meet your needs.
- With Bluehost web hosting, your WordPress blog is then self-hosted, giving you the absolute option to monetize your blog and start making money online.
- You and your blog will gain credibility and appear to be more professional in the eyes of readers, brands and companies as compared to having a free blog.
To start, head over to Bluehost and secure your own domain name, web hosting and WordPress site today for any of above.
It’s super easy and all you have to do is to click here to start the process right away.
3. Step By step – How To Start A WordPress Blog On Bluehost
Click through here to start and I’ll be walking you through every step of the way.
In a nutshell, here’s a quick summary of the process.
- Step 1: Go to Bluehost and click on the “Get Started Now” button.
- Step 2: Select the hosting package you’re interested with.
- Step 3: Enter your domain name for free or if you’ve made purchase earlier, you can register it as well in this process.
- Step 4: Key in your valid personal and payment information.
- Step 5: Creating your password and login.
Step 1: Click on the “Get Started Now” button
Step 2: Select your preferred hosting package
Step 3: Enter your domain name
Here are some tips when it comes to naming your blog.
- When possible, go for a .com domain as opposed to the others. It’s more widely known making it easier to remember. At some point, search engines may prefer a .com domain which can be benefiting when you start working on SEO in the future as opposed to the other newer options available.
- Highly suggest to go for keywords that best represent your topic or blog’s niche.
- Try going for something that sounds catchy or better yet, memorable. It makes remembering much easier. Numbers and hyphens are not encouraged.
Step 4: Enter personal information
To be honest, you don’t really need anything fancy when starting out.
I’ll suggest to go for the “Basic” package and when you get over 23K unique visitor a month, you can consider upgrading. Don’t worry, it’ll be a breeze with Bluehost for that.
Let’s break down and go over the cost of the hosting package.
- When starting, I know it’s critical to keep our costing low as much as possible. The “Basic” package of $3.95/month (via my exclusive link) is really all you’ll need now when you sign up up-front in full for a 36-month plan and in my opinion, is a great price package.
- As you sign up for a lesser month plan, the price ranges at $4.95/month for a 24-month plan and $5.95/month for a 12-month plan. In my opinion, it is still at an affordable price point given the fact that you’ll be getting a free domain name plus all the perks from a qualified, quality web hosting provider. If you’re uncertain about blogging yet, I totally get it when you’re just starting out. I’ll suggest you to opt for the 12 months plan for a total hosting price of a still affordable $71.40. You get a free domain name and good technical support team and these 2 are generally everything a good web hosting provider is all about.
- As your unique visitors reaches 23K a month, you may consider looking into upgrading to a better hosting package. The higher the hosting package, the better and faster your website will be to accommodate the high-volume traffic you’re bound to have. Don’t worry, Bluehost makes it super easy and hassle free for you to switch plans when the time comes.
- Domain privacy protection at $0.99/month is usually an option I’ll opt in for. At a relatively low cost, your vital information and contacts are protected and not be disclosed to.
- Besides the rest that I’ve mentioned above, I don’t see a need for the other extras. So, go ahead, and unchecked them as you see deemed fit.
Step 5: Creating your password and login
After payment completion, you will come through a page where you’ll need to choose a password for your account.
Click on the “Create your Password” button.
Proceed to entering your desired password and upon successful submission, you will be prompted with a “Successful” message.
4. Installing WordPress Through Bluehost Web Hosting
Blogging platforms such as WordPress makes it so much easier to begin your blogging venture.
Again, getting your own WordPress via Bluehost web hosting is super easy. I run my blog, Great Big Minds with WordPress too because it’s developed to be user-friendly and there are so many available plug-ins and integrations for just about anything I need in it.
Creating your own WordPress with Bluehost has been made simple for you. So much so, WordPress is now automatically installed for you.
Choose your preferred WordPress theme upon logging in. Don’t worry if you can’t decide on one now. You’ll have the convenience to re-select another should you consider changing it later.
Bluehost will then install your WordPress and you’ll be prompted with a “Success” message when completed.
And, we’re done! You now have a fully functioning WordPress blog.
Feel free to navigate around and get yourself comfortable with its available options. There’s so much available for you on WordPress and the things you can possible do are overwhelming.
But don’t you worry, WordPress is super easy to use and as you explore, you’ll notice just how easy it is to create pages, posts, design, edit, install and for just about anything you might want with it.
Now, I really believe this article has helped you tremendously when it comes to starting your own blog and hosting it on Bluehost.
Even though starting one can be so easy, ensuring that it becomes a success takes time and dedication.
Nevertheless, trust me when I say that it’s definitely going to be worth it. All the hard work that you’ve put into will pay off… so much more!
Find your voice. Aspire to inspire and remember to give value first to your readers.
As you begin to build and garner your own fans and readers, honor the trust, continue providing value, listen, respond and recommend tools that will help them.
Hope you’ve enjoyed this post. Ask away if there’s anything you’re uncertain of by commenting in the comment section down below.